Situated in the centre of southern Africa, Botswana lies at about 950 metres above sea level and more than 600 kilometres from the nearest coast.
The Kalahari Desert makes up three quarters of the country, which is predominantly flat and arid – and this is what makes for its most remarkable feature, the Okavango Delta. This is a wetland within a desert, receiving its waters from rain falling 1,000 km away in central Africa.
Package can include:
- Transfer from Aloe Lane Guest Lodge to airport
- Flights from Oliver Tambo airport in Johannesburg to Maun airport in Botswana
- Local light aircraft flights from Maun to your safari camp
- Three or more nights’ accommodation at one or more locations
- Big Five game viewing opportunities in a 4x4 or on foot, hunting for cheetah and the legendary black-maned lion
- A tranquil mokoro (dugout canoe) excursion on an Okavango waterway
- Return flights and transfers to Aloe Lane Guest Lodge if required
One of our preferred camps is set in a remote part of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR) which is the largest conservation area in the country, and one of the largest in the world. The reserve offers some of the best summer wildlife viewing opportunities in Africa, with star attractions including the legendary Kalahari black-maned lion, as well as some of the world’s best cheetah viewing.
Another of our camps is located within the Okovanga Delta, blending beautifully into the ancient forest of hardwood trees and overlooking a perennial lagoon – with prolific birdlife and visiting pods of hippo.
These camps are perfectly situated overlooking the African veld, with endless horizons and beautiful skies. They offer well-appointed canvas tents which are elevated from the ground, each with an en-suite bathroom and a private deck with views. Some also have a sleep-out, from which to enjoy moonlit or star-studded nights. Main areas include a bar, lounge and communal dining room, as well as a secluded swimming pool to refresh and relax in after a game drive.